I enjoyed a wonderful career collaborating with newspaper publishers on ways to reach audiences in new and different ways, sharing the dynamics of an ever-changing industry with the uninitiated and protecting the public’s right to know from government intrusion.
The Iowa Newspaper Association represents 300 Iowa newspapers and is composed of three corporations: the Iowa Newspaper Association, the INA Services Company (includes a wholly owned sales subsidiary, Customized Newspaper Advertising), and the Iowa Newspaper Foundation. I served as its Executive Director from 2009-2016 and in several capacities prior to that.
- Supervised a team of 20-25 in sales, media planning and buying, fundraising, meeting planning, accounting and communications/marketing.
- Oversaw Customized Newspaper Advertising, the national sales, planning and placement arm of the Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin Newspaper Associations. Sales grew from $800,000 to $15 million during my tenure.
- Lead the CNA team to 17 annual sales records over 25 years.
- Worked with the Government Relations Committee and board on developing and implementing legislative policy.
- Directed the development of the annual consolidated budget which exceeded $15 million in revenue and projected monthly income and expenses for the three corporations.
- Directed development and implementation of the INA Annual Convention and 40-50 educational seminars and webinars for newspaper employees all across the country. The INA’s Annual Convention drew over 700 registrants during my tenure and was the largest state press association convention in the country.
- Worked closely with the three boards of directors to develop policy and direct the long-term strategic goals of the organization.
Facilitating and speaking
- Conducted several strategic planning sessions for non-profit organizations.
- Often called upon for public speaking engagements, primarily related to changes in the newspaper industry and legislation affecting the industry.
- Iowa Newspaper Association Heritage Club
- Iowa College Media Association John Eighmey Service Award
- Iowa Freedom of Information Council Friend of the First Amendment
- Iowa Newspaper Association Distinguished Service Award
- Creation of the Chris Mudge (Monroe) Next Generation Fund (contributions designated for Iowa Newspaper Foundation programs targeted at the next generation of journalism professionals)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Institute for Organization Management, Stanford University, Stanford, California
- B.A., Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa